Avoiding Attack Classroom Activity
- Avoiding attack – presentation: a series of images of animals that are either camouflaged against a background or are shown side-by-side with the animal that they are mimicking. Includes instructions for the activities.
- Avoiding attack – worksheets: worksheets to help the pupils collect the data for the two experiments.
- Avoiding attack – spreadsheets: Excel spreadsheets to collate data from the experiments. The formulae in the spreadsheet should automatically tally everything and plot a graph of the results.
- Coloured cocktail or lollipop sticks – I use 50 sticks per group of 5-8 students, with 10 sticks of each colour.
- Revels – Revels are great for illustrating mimicry. One 126g bag per group of 5-8 students keeps them occupied.
- Paper plates – one plate marked with each flavour and a seventh to pour the chocolates out to begin.
- Almost-blunt knives – to perform a “Revels dissection” to check whether they guessed the flavour correctly.